University of the Free State UFS Department of Anaesthesiology
University of the Free State UFS Department of Anaesthesiology – check below;
Who is the Department of Anaesthesiology?
In the University of the Free State (UFS) Department of Anaesthesiology we train undergraduate students and specialists to safely and effectively prepare patients, before, during and after surgery, to administer anaesthesia, provide aftercare, relieve pain and facilitate surgery, while we also relieve chronic pain and do critical care.
- In General Anaesthesiology all types of anaesthesia are done and taught.
- At Pain Control Unit: Chronic and acute pain control are done and taught on a full time basis. This is the oldest unit of its kind in the country with the most comprehensive services.
- At our Anaesthesia Clinic, patients with severe systemic disease are evaluated and prepared for anaesthesia.
We are a friendly department, in pace with South Africa’s demands. The personnel are dedicated and participate in all clinical and university functions. Our department is geared towards the future with a process of sensible transformation and planning in place to provide for future needs.
READ ALSO: University of the Free State UFS Online Registration
In addition to training and research, clinical anaesthesia services are provided at the following venues in the Free State and Northern Cape.
- Universitas Hospital
- National Hospital
- Pelonomi Hospital
- Oranje Hospital
- Our satellite departments at Kimberley Hospital and
- lll Military Hospital
- The department’s Pain Control Unit and Preoperative Anaesthesia Evaluation Clinic provide unique training opportunities. A
Registrar posts are advertised every six months for appointments in the first or second half of the year (usually during April and October). Information on admission requirements and applications can be obtained from the HOD.
Satellite departments and contact numbers:
General Anaesthesiology: +27 51 405 3307
Pain Control Unit: +27 51 405 3613
Anaesthesia Clinic: +27 51 405 3777
III Military Hospital: +27 51 402 1841
Kimberley Hospital: +27 53 802 9111 x 2140
RESIDENCES AND ACCOMMODATION