University of Cape Town History – UCT History
University of Cape Town History – read on UCT Historical background on this page…
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is South Africa’s oldest university, and is one of Africa’s leading teaching and research institutions.
The birth of an institution
UCT was founded in 1829 as the South African College, a high school for boys.
The College had a small tertiary-education facility that grew substantially after 1880, when the discovery of gold and diamonds in the north – and the resulting demand for skills in mining – gave it the financial boost it needed to grow.
The College developed into a fully fledged university during the period 1880 to 1900, thanks to increased funding from private sources and the government.
During these years, the College built its first dedicated science laboratories, and started the departments of mineralogy and geology to meet the need for skilled personnel in the country’s emerging diamond and gold-mining industries.
Another key development during this period was the admission of women. In 1886 the Professor of Chemistry, Paul Daniel Hahn, convinced the Council to admit 4 women into his chemistry class on a trial basis. Owing to the exceptional standard of work by the women students, the College decided to admit women students permanently in honour of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1887.
The years 1902 to 1918 saw the establishment of the Medical School, the introduction of engineering courses and a Department of Education.
UCT was formally established as a university in 1918, on the basis of the Alfred Beit bequest and additional substantial gifts from mining magnates Julius Wernher and Otto Beit. The new university also attracted substantial support from well-wishers in the Cape Town area and, for the first time, a significant state grant.
In 1928, the university was able to move the bulk of its facilities to the magnificent site at Groote Schuur on the slopes of Devil’s Peak. It was here, on land bequeathed to the nation by Cecil John Rhodes as the site for a national university, that UCT celebrated its centenary the following year.
“Moscow on the Hill”
Apart from establishing itself as a leading research and teaching university in the decades that followed, UCT earned itself the nickname “Moscow on the Hill” during the period 1960 to 1990 for its sustained opposition to apartheid, particularly in higher education.
The university admitted its first small group of black students in the 1920s. The number of black students remained relatively low until the 1980s and 90s, when the institution, reading and welcoming the signs of change in the country, committed itself to a deliberate and planned process of internal transformation.
From the 1980s to the early 1990s, the number of black students admitted to the university rose by 35 percent. By 2004, nearly half of UCT’s 20 000 students were black and just under half of the student body was female. Today we have one of the most diverse campuses in South Africa.
Today, against the backdrop of a rapidly changing and diversifying democratic society, UCT is implementing an action guide on transformation looking at issues such as:
- staff diversity
- student equity and access
- the curriculum
- leadership and governance
- attitudes and behaviour.
UCT strives to:
- redress past injustices
- promote equal opportunity for all
- reflect the demographics of South Africa
- safeguard human rights
- uphold the inherent dignity of all
- meet the development needs of South Africa’s emerging democracy.
For further information on UCT’s transformation process view the transformation pages.
Aspiring to academic excellence
The university has 6 faculties – Commerce, Engineering & the Built Environment, Law, Health Sciences, Humanities and Science – which are all supported by the Centre for Higher Education Development, which addresses students’ teaching and learning needs.
Among its more than 100 000 alumni are the late Professor Christiaan Barnard, the world-renowned heart surgeon, and 3 Nobel laureates, Sir Aaron Klug, the late Professor Alan MacLeod Cormack and JM Coetzee.
UCT also has more than 80 specialist research units that provide supervision for postgraduate work and is home to more than a third of South Africa’s A-rated researchers – academics who are considered world leaders in their fields.
The early history of the university is also set out in the following publications:
- The History of the SA College: 1829-1918 (2 volumes), by William Ritchie (Maskew Miller, Cape Town, 1918)
- The SA College and the University of Cape Town: 1829-1929, by Eric A Walker (Centenary Volume published for the Council of the University of Cape Town by the Cape Times, 1929)
- The History of the University of Cape Town 1928-1948: The Formative Years, by Howard Phillips.
1.Buffalo City TVET College Online Application
2.Buffalo City TVET College Application Form
3.Buffalo City TVET College Undergraduate Application Form
4.Buffalo City TVET College Online Undergraduate Application
5.Buffalo City TVET College Application Closing Date
6.Buffalo City TVET College Application Status
7.Buffalo City TVET College Online Application Status
8.Buffalo City TVET College Courses Offered
FEES STRUCTURE, BURSARIES, AND SCHOLARSHIPS
9.Buffalo City TVET College Banking Details
10.Buffalo City TVET College Fees
11.Buffalo City TVET College NSFAS
12.Buffalo City TVET College Bursaries
13.Buffalo City TVET College Student Loans
14.Buffalo City TVET College NSFAS Application
15.Buffalo City TVET College Prospectus
16.Buffalo City TVET College Undergraduate Prospectus
17.Buffalo City TVET College Postgraduate Prospectus
CONTACTS, LOCATION, AND CAMPUSES
18.Buffalo City TVET College Campus
19.Buffalo City TVET College Contact Address
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATIONS
20.Buffalo City TVET College Entry Requirements
21.Buffalo City TVET College Admission Requirements
22.Buffalo City TVET College Registration.
23.Buffalo City TVET College Tender
24.Buffalo City TVET College History
25.Buffalo City TVET College Mission and Vision
26.Buffalo City TVET College Examination
27.Buffalo City TVET College Faculties
28.Buffalo City TVET College Graduation Ceremony Date
29.Buffalo City TVET College Graduation List
30.Buffalo City TVET College Acceptance letter
31.Buffalo City TVET College Academic Calendar
32.Buffalo City TVET College Student Portal Login
33.Buffalo City TVET College Career
34.Buffalo City TVET College Job Vacancies
35.Buffalo City TVET College Blackboard Learn Login
1.University of Pretoria Application Status
2.University of Pretoria Online Application Status
3.University of Pretoria Online Application
4.University of Pretoria Application Forms
5.University of Pretoria Undergraduate Application Form
6.University of Pretoria Postgraduate Application Form
7.University of Pretoria Undergraduate Online Application
8.University of Pretoria Postgraduate Online Application
9. University of Pretoria Courses Offered
FEES STRUCTURE, BURSARIES AND SCHOLARSHIPS
10.University of Pretoria Application Fees
11. University of Pretoria Summer/Winter School Fees
12. University of Pretoria Bank Details
13.University of Pretoria Fees and Funding
14. University of Pretoria Undergraduate Fees
15. University of Pretoria Postgraduate Fees
16. University of Pretoria Residence Fees
17. University of Pretoria International Student Fees
18. University of Pretoria Postgraduate Registration Fee
19. University of Pretoria Scholarship
20. University of Pretoria Prospectus.
21. University of Pretoria Undergraduate Prospectus
22. University of Pretoria Postgraduate prospectus
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATIONS
22. University of Pretoria Online Registration
23. University of Pretoria Registration
24. University of Pretoria International Student Registration
25. University of Pretoria Admission Requirements
26. University of Pretoria PHD Admission Requirements
CONTACTS, LOCATION AND CAMPUSES
27. University of Pretoria Distance Learning Contact
28. University of Pretoria Fees Office Contact Address
29. University of Pretoria Contact Address
30. University of Pretoria Campuses
31. University of Pretoria Student Portal Login
32. University of Pretoria Accommodation and Hostel
33. University of Pretoria Distance Learning
34. University of Pretoria Dormitory and Hostels
35. University of Pretoria Examinations
36. University of Pretoria Examination Results
37. University of Pretoria Faculties and Schools
38. When is University of Pretoria Open Day
39. Does University of Pretoria Offer Distance Learning
40. University of Pretoria Graduation Ceremony Date
41. University of Pretoria Graduation List
42. University of Pretoria Closing Date
43. University of Pretoria Acceptance Letter
44. University of Pretoria Career
45. University of Pretoria Job Vacancies
46. University of Pretoria Blackboard Learn Login
47. University of Pretoria Historical Background
48. University of Pretoria World Ranking
49. University of Pretoria Grade Calculator
50. University of Pretoria Examination Timetable
51. Apply at the University of Pretoria
61.University of Cape Town UCT Term Dates
62.University of Cape Town UCT Academic Calendar Pdf
63.Does University of Cape Town UCT Offer Pharmacy
64.University of Cape Town UCT School of Nursing and Midwifery
65.University of Cape Town Contact Details
66.University of Cape Town Payment and Rebate Deadlines
67.University of Cape Town UCT Payment Methods
69.University of Cape Town National Senior Certificate Requirements
70.University of Cape Town UCT Students Results
71.University of Cape Town UCT Course Timetable
72.University of Cape Town UCT Department Timetables
73.University of Cape Town UCT Venue Timetable
74.UCT Departmental Exam Timetable
75.University of Cape Town UCT Student Exam Timetable
76.University of Cape Town UCT Residences
77.University of Cape Town Accommodation
78.University of Cape Town History
University of Cape Town UCT Student Housing
79.UCT Student Housing and Residence Life
80.University of Cape Town UCT Student Housing Application
81.UCT Off-Campus Student Accommodation Services OCSAS
82.University of Cape Town UCT Tier One Residences
83.University of Cape Town UCT Tier Two Residences
84.University of Cape Town UCT Tier Three Residences
85.University of Cape Town UCT Postgraduate Housing
86.University of Cape Town UCT Postgraduate Contacts
87.University of Cape Town UCT First Year Students
88.University of Cape Town UCT Orientation Leadership Training
89.University of Cape Town UCT Orientation Dates
90.University of Cape Town UCT Orientation Programmes
91.University of Cape Town UCT International Orientation
92.UCT Student Orientation & Advocacy Service SOAS
93.University of Cape Town UCT Curriculum and Course Changes
94.University of Cape Town UCT Exams
95.University of Cape Town UCT Graduation Ceremony Date
96.University of Cape Town UCT Graduation List
97.University of Cape Town UCT Third Term
98.University of Cape Town UCT Oracle PeopleSoft Sign in
99.University of Cape Town Faculties
100.University of Cape Town Grading System