UCT Department of Chemical Engineering Courses Offered
UCT Department of Chemical Engineering Courses Offered – see the list of courses offered at the department…
A student may register for a full research Masters or take a Coursework Masters degree in one of the following:
- Bioprocess engineering
- Catalytic process engineering
- Hydrometallurgical engineering
PhDThe purpose of the PhD degree is to develop new insights in the field of Chemical Engineering.
Doctoral degrees are always full-time research programmes, and can be taken in any of the departmental research interest areas.
These are are:
- Bioprocess engineering
- Minerals processing
- Environmental engineering
- Crystallization and precipitation
- Chemical engineering education
The UCT BSc in Chemical Engineering is focussed on the success and development of graduates who are prepared for the challenges of 21st century chemical engineering.
The 4-year undergraduate degree prepares graduates for careers in the chemical, metallurgical, biotechnological and other process industries. It is fully accredited by the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) and recognised throughout the world in terms of the Washington Accord.
The degree design is unique in Africa and is informed by cutting edge international developments in engineering education.
Our teaching centres on a philosophy of hands-on learning and the development of technical expertise, problem-solving, teamwork and communication skills.
- Students apply learnt theory to design projects based on real-world problems as well as through practical training using laboratory and pilot scale equipment. We challenge students to use their skills of observation and reasoning to develop a working understanding of the underlying phenomena.
Students also customise their degrees according to their individual interests.
- The final degree can be focussed towards minerals processing, bioprocess engineering, catalytic processing, process modelling, or environmental process engineering.
Our undergraduate programme promotes student learning and personal development, with staff providing a caring and supportive environment.
We are passionate about the success of our students. Our open-door policy combines with personalised academic counselling, the ASPECT programme for educationally disadvantaged students and an ongoing process of curriculum review. In line with the Department’s philosophy of engagement, experienced postgraduate students assist as tutors in the undergraduate programme.
University of Cape Town Undergraduate Courses
University of Cape Town UCT Postgraduate Courses Offered